Areas of Focus
- Banking & Finance
Bruce joined KAA in 2011 after working with Price water House Coopers-USA, in the international tax group. While at PWC, Bruce was mainly involved in advising Clients on tax structuring transactions. He also had extensive advisory experience with clients that are investing in the energy sector (mainly in the oil and gas and mining industries) in Africa.
Prior to joining PWC, Bruce worked for JPMorgan in the USA. While at JPMorgan, Bruce offered corporate advisory and secretarial services to the Bank. He advised on the Banks Mutual and Hedge Funds on international transactions.
Since joining KAA, Bruce has been involved in litigation with a preference for tax matters. Bruce is particularly adept at finding solutions to complex tax and other legal disputes.
Bruce successfully represented Standard Chartered Bank Uganda Limited in a UGX 13 billion tax dispute regarding income tax. Bruce also successfully represented the leading mobile telecommunications company, MTN in a UGX 320 billion dispute against the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) arising from corporation tax, Value Added Tax and excise duty assessments.
Bruce was involved in representing Tullow Uganda Ltd in its capital gains dispute and was also involved in representing Tullow Uganda Ltd in its USD. 490 million dollar tax dispute against URA. He has also worked with Total E&P and Total Uganda and was involved in their UGX 2 billion shilling dispute with URA.I was part of the team that handled Orange Uganda Limited’s UGX 100 billion shilling tax dispute against URA.
Bruce offers tax advisory services to companies in the energy industry including CNOOC, Total Uganda Ltd, Tullow Oil, UMEME, Bujagali Energy Limited among others. He has also represented Uganda National Roads Authority in several infrastructure project disputes. Examples of his relevant experience in legal practice include:
- Successfully represented the leading Telecom Company, MTN (U) Limited in a USD 2.5million dollar dispute against Uganda Telecom Ltd
- Successfully represented Standard Chartered Bank in a suit for UGX 2.3 billion.
- Successfully challenged a number of applications made by a fuel distribution company against Standard Chartered Bank regarding a loan of USD 9.1 million.
- Successfully defended MTN in a suit about the legality of mobile money transactions, and succeeded in having the suit dismissed.
- Successfully represented Tullow Uganda Operations Pty Limited in a USD 490 million dollar tax dispute against URA before Commercial Court of Uganda, revolving around Capital gains tax arising from disposal of interest in oil blocks.
- The firm represented MTN in a UGX 900 million customs tax dispute against Uganda Revenue Authority challenging the valuation and reclassification of network rollout equipment.
- Advised Eskom Uganda Ltd, a power generation company on the pending dispute with Uganda Revenue Authority in respect of eligibility to claim capital allowances on assets that came into use after the concession date with the Government of Uganda.
- Advised Petro (U) Ltd and subsequently successfully represented them in court in resolving a UGX 1.3 billion Value Added Tax assessment related to the disposal of its assets during the restructuring of the company.
- Represented UMEME Ltd (Power Distribution Co.) in a USD 33.8million dollar dispute against URA before the Commercial Court regarding the taxability of assets that were passed over from government to the Co. under a concession agreement.
- Appearing on behalf of National Social Security Fund in a UGX 89 billion dispute on whether interest paid to members of the fund is an allowable deduction in assessment of income tax.
- Currently Bruce is part of the legal team defending Dr. Sudhir Ruparelia in his USD 100 million suit against Bank of Uganda and Crane Bank for defrauding Crane Bank and causing the financial loss that led to the collapse of Crane Bank.
Makerere University, Kampala.
Law Development Centre, Kampala
Georgetown University , Washington, D.C.