In a world driven by innovations in Information and Communications technology and the ever increasing convergence of technologies and communication media platforms, legal, policy and regulatory challenges and opportunities must follow suit. With the world embracing the fourth (4th) Industrial Revolution and many industries/ sectors undergoing disruptive changes, many people and business entities are facing business, legal and regulatory pressures to deliver, be compliant and competitive while keeping ahead of the game.
In order to effectively and constructively navigate the regulatory and legal issues that affect players within the TMT industry, you need a firm that knows the entire industry and is a respected market leader. You need a firm and a team that understands the opportunities and risks facing your business or industry. A firm that is agile and responsive to market needs and to the rapidly changing face and culture of work and business. You need Kampala Associated Advocates.
Kampala Associated Advocates is privileged to have a team with highly specialized skills and knowledge. The team’s rich and varied experience and background within the TMT sector enables them to offer relevant and incisive legal and business advice tailor made to suit the unique circumstances of each client. From Commercial/ Transactional Advisory, Regulatory Compliance, Intellectual Property, Telecommunications, Licensing within the sector, Data Protection and Privacy, FinTech, E-Payments, Electronic Commerce, Software Licensing, Domain Name registrations and Disputes, Dispute Resolution to other related fields, our team is best placed to render the most relevant, informed and practical advice to help you navigate the high stakes environment.
With a proven and unrivalled track record in representing clients across all three sub-sectors of TMT – from University graduate innovators, individual innovators, start-up companies, global corporations, public institutions, regulators and telecommunications companies – our experienced team of lawyers have been involved in some of the industry’s landmark cases and deals and continue to advise regularly on sector defining projects.
KAA’s experience in Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT) Legal practice.
- Collaborated with the Commonwealth Telecommunication Organisation (CTO) in a consultancy commissioned by the National Information Technology Authority (NITA-U) to conduct a Gap Analysis of the Policy, Legal and Regulatory Framework for Uganda’s Information and Communication Technology (ICT) sector. The Consultancy was carried out as part of the Regional Communication Infrastructure Program (RCIP) under the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology and National Guidance (MoICT&NG)
- Advised BRAC Uganda Finance Limited on Software Licensing Agreement, leading the inter-party contractual negotiations in relation to the software licensing agreement and the Service Level Agreement terms. Drafted the agreement for the supply, installation and maintenance of the core banking software called Orbit-R.
- Successfully defended the Ugandan Communications Commission together with MTN Uganda Limited, in a landmark litigation instituted against them relating to the provision of mobile money service, as a value added service.
- Successfully represented MTN Uganda Limited in the investigation and prosecution of former employees in the incidents of mobile money fraud through the ICT platform for the provision of mobile money.
- Successfully represented the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) in respect of a suit lodged by a private citizen challenging the Digital Migration exercise undertaken by the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) under the Digital Migration Policy of 2011.
- Successfully defended Uganda Communications Commission (UCC), which took over the case from the Broadcasting Council, in a suit lodged by Traces (SA) CC. The suit emanated from the termination of a contract for the collection of Television Licence Fees by the Government of Uganda. The value of the claim was USD $ 513,295,409.54.
- Successfully represented MTN Uganda Limited in the only case that has ever been litigated in Uganda relating to payments under an Interconnection Agreement between Uganda Telecom Limited and MTN Uganda Limited for international traffic that was being terminated in the network of a third party telecommunications company in a foreign country in as much as the code used was a Ugandan code. The Supreme Court of Uganda confirmed the findings of all the lower courts and upheld the termination rates claimed by MTN Uganda Limited.
- Successfully represented Uganda Communications Commission in a suit lodged by a licensee challenging the levying of license fees in respect of short codes issued under the Uganda National Numbering Plan Guidelines by the Uganda Communications Commission.
- Advising WorldVu Satellites Ltd, known as OneWeb, on the Ugandan laws and regulations which will impact the deployment of a constellation of Low Earth-Orbiting (“LEO”) satellites which are designed to operate in the Ku-Band and Ka-Band frequencies in Uganda.
- Advising an international conglomerate on the data protection and data transfer laws in Uganda.
- Advising Jumoworld Uganda Limited on the Ugandan law governing provision of mobile loans via e-money.
- Advising Total E&P Uganda B.V, Total Uganda Limited and Total East Africa Midstream B.V. on the legal risks associated with moving the existing Total workplace environment into Microsoft Office 365 public cloud environment in Uganda.
- Successfully carried out Trademark enforcement actions against several businesses on behalf of Hewlett-Packard Company (HP).
- Routinely execute various instructions for trademark registration in Uganda and Africa for both local and International trademark owners.